forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4227  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Thu Nov 16, 2000  2:54 am
Subject:  Re: Thanks Bill and Charles and Everyone ;-)

Val,

I see Charles point about the handshapes. And I notice how the ASL sign
of "photo" is understandable- I certainly could read it ok. It just
seems odd to twist something. The more I thought about it the more I
wondered if there was a way to "twist" the sign slightly to indicate it's
not totally sideways.

Don't take my thoughts too seriously! I'm just playing with this today.

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> November 15, 2000
>
> Thanks, Bill, for your diagrams. I appreciate your sharing that with
> us. And thanks too, for Charles' comment.
>
> I bet you can see, Bill, how darned complicated this all becomes -
> actually your symbols are a little like the dots I was proposing - it
> is isn't that different. We were on similar thought waves!
>
> But then Charles pointed out another reality - even though the
> handshapes with the complete fingers are annoying because sometimes
> they don't look exactly like real life - people still read them
> quicker because they can at least see the handshape very quickly with
> all the fingers. After they see all the fingers, then they look at
> the palm facing - so children do read the handshapes with the
> complete fingers faster than the dots -
>
> Thus, you can see our dilemma!
>
> You know what I think? I think I became allergic to this subject! I
> see nothing but dots and lines swirling in my head - and I say "Let's
> write and not worry!" Agreed? smile
> --
>
> Val ;-)

> Valerie Sutton
>

> Visit the SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org

Attachment
1 and 5.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 4227  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index