forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4568  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Lorraine Crespin
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  12:49 am
Subject:  Re: Question for you

Hi Neil
Regarding the young woman and SW. We will never know the success she will
experience until she tries it.
I continue to be amazed with what and how deaf children uses SW. I have used
SW in my classroom for two years with children ages 5-10. I had presumed that
some of the children who were severly language delayed and who had some other
learning challenges might experience difficulties. Wow, did they prove me
wrong!
Since the young woman that you speak of is in the process of learning a
language I think it would be important that the SW she learns be connected to
what language she knows, or used to teach new vocabulary with the real
experience or "thing" in front of her. Otherwise she may learn to "read" SW
but she would still not have the comprehension of what it means.
Lorraine
Albuquerque,NM

  Message 4568  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index