forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4602  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  8:27 pm
Subject:  Please keep writing SignWriting! ;-)

Tini wrote:
>Any comment on the sign "both" I posted on March 19? I am almost
>afraid to SW an other poem in case my writing is wrong!!!!! I want
>to learn!!!!! Tini

SignWriting List
March 24, 2001

Dear SignWriting List members, and of course Tini!

I am sorry that I have not been posting to the List lately. But I am
back, as best I can be! ;-)

And welcome to Sandra and to everyone who is new to the SW List.

Please do not feel "fearful" of writing SignWriting, Tini. Love the
experience, and be joyous!

And never be afraid of writing. You do not have to wait for anyone's
approval. "Some literature is better than no literature" I always
say, and at this time in our history, we need more and more
literature to study.... ;-)

Standardization will slowly happen with usage and the burden is not
on your shoulders. I am now working towards expanding our ASL
dictionary and improving it. And others in other countries are also
working on expanding their dictionaries. There will be a day when SW
dictionaries are larger...but even when that day comes, there will
always be some dictionary entries that can be different depending on
the usage in a sentence, and so other books, such as grammar books,
will always be needed too.

SignWriting is standardizing at a faster pace historically, than most
written languages have in the past...so we are succeeding despite
ourselves!

I love your poetry, Tini, and I hope you will share more with us soon
again...posting to the SW List and to the web - both methods are
useful, since not everyone has access to the web in other countries.

And I hope other List members will also post your SignWriting poetry
and stories...we all benefit from the exchange...your documents are
most welcome, large and small ;-)
--

Val ;->