forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4603  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  9:28 pm
Subject:  Re: the sign "both"

On 3/19/01, Henk Pel wrote:
>We were discussing the sign "both"
>When I first copied it out of the SW dictionary, Stefan asked to have
>another look at it. I now have constructed another version of the
>sign "both". Does this sign describe the movement for "both" better?
>Tini

SignWriting List
March 24, 2001

Hello Tini, and Everyone -

As far as I can see, Tini, both spellings of the sign for "both" are
fine. It all depends on the signer, and the usage in the sentence
(see Tini's attached diagram).

The ASL dictionary that comes with the US shareware was written in
SignWriting by three born-deaf native signers, who were "Deaf of
Deaf"...that is...they had Deaf parents. That was in 1993-1994.

The SignWriting symbols themselves can be used in different ways now.
Today, we might spell that sign slightly differently, and I believe
that was what Stefan was hinting at...But that has nothing to do with
the Deaf people's typing of the sign for "both" in 1993-1994. They
typed it correctly for that time in history....

All dictionaries have to be updated on a regular basis, since the
writing of languages changes continually, so we are working on
updates now....

That is not your responsibility....

Meanwhile, I am not an ASL expert personally. So it would be wrong of
me to teach ASL to you. But I can teach you the SignWriting symbols
themselves, and I hope to do that on the List again, as soon as my
health is better -

Many blessings -

both.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

  Message 4603  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index