forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4614  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  2:14 am
Subject:  Re: cat or kat

As far as I know the sign for "cat" in ASL is the  thumb and index finger of the "F" hand touching the face just below and to the side of the nose and the other fingers pointing upward, palm facing in. Then bring the hand outward with a repeated movement, indigating the long hairs of a cat's moustache. I always remember it as the "F" indicating the French word "feline", which means catlike
Henk
-----Original Message-----
From: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L@ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]On Behalf Of PATSY VAN ANDEL
Sent: March 25, 2001 7:58 AM
To: SW-L@ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject:

I showed a picture of a cat and the sign for cat to Miriam's mother. The difference between the Dutch cat and American cat was the position of the hands. In Dutch (NGT), the hands are at mouth level whereas it looks like they're at eye level in ASL. The great thing about sign writer is that the positions can be changed to conform with the language of the country. I have two graphics programs that I'm going to try to use with the SW and see what I can come up with. I have checked out books from the library and am going to experiment with NGT and signing stories for toddlers. We'll see what happens.

Replies Author Date
4757 Re: cat or kat Valerie Sutton Sun  4/8/2001

Message 4614  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index