forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4665  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Thu Mar 29, 2001  4:59 pm
Subject:  Re: Merging SignWriter Dictionaries

Hi Valerie,

thank you so much for your assistance and support.

Yes - she starts a brand new empty dictionary file, with another
name, to add the new signs !

First all entries starting with letter A
Second all entries with letter B ...

If you could create a brand new empty dictionary file each time, then
there is no danger in merging.

So everything is fine and within a couple of weeks we will have a brand new
dictionary without english entries !

Background information for all interested readers: When I started with SW I
simply added my new written German signs to the existing 001 dictionary -
In the meantime I learned that this has been a bad idea ! There are now lots
of entries ASL and German SL but what seems to be worse - the basis of
this dictionary isnt 049 the German code but a mixup of 001 and some
others ? when I merged with other parts of selfwritten Dictionaries. I think
we can learn from this ! ;-)
Just convert the existing Dictionary to .sgn files - this way you will have
an excellent basis to copy signs from this file into your own new Dictionary
which will grow in time ;-)
But be sure and check it with the Dictionary manager that your new
Dictionary is made on the correct land code !

Thanks a lot and have a nice day

Stefan ;-)

I should have started with