forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4662  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Mar 28, 2001  8:18 pm
Subject:  Merging SignWriter Dictionaries

SignWriting List
March 28, 2001

Dear SW List:
Stefan, in Germany, asked me a question about merging two SignWriter
dictionary files, so I will try to answer the question now. I am
sharing this with all of you, in case some of you are interested in
merging two dictionary files too...

QUESTION:

1. We are adding signs to our German dictionary, which is named "049"....

2. My co-worker gives me the dictionary file to read through, edit
and correct. I do that.

3. While I am editing her work, she continues to add new signs...

4. After a while she will give me her next dictionary file...

5. If we merge the first with the second and so forth is there any risk that it
could get messed up in the end ? Any other suggestions ? Comments ?

ANSWER:

Smile....I hope I worded your question correctly, Stefan....if not,
feel free to correct the question - ha!

It is number 3 above that is the important point....

Is your co-worker adding new signs to the SAME 049 dictionary file,
or does she start a brand new empty dictionary file, with another
name, to add the new signs?

If you could create a brand new empty dictionary file each time, then
there is no danger in merging.

If the old signs are blended in with the new signs in the SAME file,
then you need to make sure, when you merge the old and new files,
that you do not end up getting doubles of the old signs that are
already there. You also don't want to merge the wrong direction, and
wipe out all your edited signs, replacing them by accident with the
old unedited signs with the same name!

There are tricks and techniques to merge properly either way, but it
would be easier if there were never any double ups....

So before I give official instructions, please tell me if I
understand your question correctly - and I will continue my answer...

--

Val ;->