forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4704  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  cmf
Date:  Mon Apr 2, 2001  5:07 am
Subject:  Re: Can someone help Deborah? (Thanks to Cecilia & Jerry)

Valerie and the list,

We'll see what kind of response we get from the fifth graders when I arrive
at school Monday morning re this request for SignWritng words and sentences
that Debbie needs. Here I am volunteering them but...you never know.
What this class has been used to doing on Monday mornings is to report to
the class some personal 'news' that happened with them or their families
over the weekend. We videotape their 'reports'. Usually these reports are
very brief, a comment or two. After all eight students finish sharing
'news', the class views the video together. The teacher writes a sign gloss
on newsprint as dictated by the 'reporting' student. Sometimes the others
help confirm what was signed on the video and then what is sign glossed.
Each student then takes that gloss to the computer to type out their
'weekend news' in SignWriting. Later on during the week, the students take
that SignWritten text and write English translations. The teacher is working
on an oversized book for each student that will be a cummulative record of
these monday morning 'news' reports that went through several communication
phases, Signed, videotaped, glossed, SignWritten, English translations.

As for other class projects re SW literature...we can talk about this
Valerie.

Cecilia

  Message 4704  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index