forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4729  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  11:13 am
Subject:  Re: SignWriting T-Shirt Designs ;-)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Could you re-send the diagram as a .GIF or .JPEG? The .BMP format
> does not show up on all computers or in the Archives -

Of course! I was pretty tired when I wrote it, so I plumb forgot
to convert it to a non-Microsoft format! The "can2" attachment is what I
sent the first time, the "can3b" attachment is after reading Stefan's
comments.

And then Stefan wrote:

> In addition a question from the learner to the Linguist - the eyebrows
> up in the last sign - "possible" I would think of a question instead
> of an affirmation

> Can you explain to me why you picked eyebrows up ?

Well, I'm a linguist, but I'm still very much a learner. I guess
there were three reasons why I picked the "eyebrows up":

1) I got confused and put "eyebrows down" (which indicates a
who/what/why/when/where/how-question in ASL) for the first part, where I
really wanted "eyebrows up," which indicates a topic.

2) I wasn't sure it'd be clear enough where the topic phrase stopped and
where the comment began. I know that some people mark nonmanuals on every
sign, even if they change, while others (including the Parkhursts, if I
remember right) mark only where they change. For people who do that, how
do you mark returning to neutral eyebrows?

3) I knew that there was something going on in the comment. After
thinking about your question, I realized that what I remembered from
classes and conversations was that there should be a headnod with the
assertion of possibility. I think the headnod got confused with the
eyebrow raise somewhere along the line.

Thanks for your feedback! I'd be interested to see how you
write the same sentence in DGS.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

Attachment
can3b.jpg
Type: IMAGE/jpeg

can2.jpg
Type: IMAGE/jpeg

  Message 4729  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index