forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4737  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  joe martin
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  8:30 am
Subject:  A misconception

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that terms like "phonetic" and
"phonology" only refer to spoken language. After all, the "phon-" of these
words comes from Greek--it's the Greek word for sound. Since SignWriting
doesn't represent sounds, people think it can't be a phonetic writing
system.

The fact is though, SignWriting is phonetic, and is more phonetic than most
writing. Phonetics and phonolgy are in all languages. They are simply the
smallest parts and the way these smallest parts get put together. When
these words were invented, the only languages people knew about used sounds
for their smallest parts. So that's where the names came from.

But today we know of languages (like ASL) whose smallest units aren't
sounds--they still have phonology like any other language. SignWriting
represents that. The "phon-" words refer to abstract units, not actual
movements or sounds or whatever. If space aliens turned up, they might do
phonology with colors or radio waves.

When we say that sign language isn't phonological or phonetic, (or, like
below, that it is so only metaphorically) we are saying that it is not
language. Of course the truth is that it is, and also that SignWriting is a
highly phonetic-- and very sophisticated--writing system. We should give it
credit for that.

Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:52:43 +0300
>of sign languages. At the same time, SignWriter shares with
>other transcription systems a structured representation of the sign, >i.e.
>a sign is the combination of ("phonological" or "phonetic"- a >metaphor
>from spoken language linguistics) features.

  Replies Author Date
4738 Re: A misconception Angus B. Grieve-Smith Thu  4/5/2001
4741 Re: A misconception Themis Karaminis Thu  4/5/2001

  Message 4737  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index