forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4738  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  11:06 am
Subject:  Re: A misconception

Joe, when you use the word "misconception," you imply that there's
a "correct" concept that is obvious. I disagree that the meaning you have
given to the word "phonology" is obvious.

It's only relatively recently that "phonology" has been used to
refer to the smallest distinctive units of language. Before that it meant
dealing with sounds. It was a political decision to use the word
"phonology" for signed languages rather than Stokoe's "cherology,"
calculated to emphasize the similarities between spoken and signed
languages.

I agree with this political decision, but I think it's important
to accept that for a certain group of (mostly non-sign) linguists,
"phonology" has to do with sounds. There is no misconception, only a
different use of the term. In that group of linguists, using phonology
for signed languages is a metaphor.

It is certainly reasonable to present the conventions of sign
linguistics ("here we say 'phonology'") and ask the person to go along,
and maybe consider adopting the conventions outside of sign linguistics,
but it is not reasonable to assume that these conventions are based on
obvious fact and that all other conventions are misconceptions.

As regards the word "phonetics," traditional spoken language
phonetics deals with sounds and gestures (and probably should deal with
perception as well). The signed-language equivalent deals with images,
gestures and perception.

The argument for using "sign phonology" is that phonology is
somehow this abstract, self-contained system that is the same across
modalities. I don't think that holds for phonetics. The whole point of
phonetics is that it is so low-level that you're not really dealing with
the same thing once you get into a different modality. Because of this I
think that "sign phonetics" (which I've never heard used) would be a
metaphor.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
4741 Re: A misconception Themis Karaminis Thu  4/5/2001

  Message 4738  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index