forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4745  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Fri Apr 6, 2001  9:25 am
Subject:  Re: sign language processing and computational sign language processing

Hi Themis,

doing my SW exercises every day (he) I stumbled over this ...

> On the other hand, SignWriting is easy to learn and use mostly
> because it is iconographic. -

What do you talk about ??

Well - you are right - there is one aspect of SW that is really easy to
learn : R E A D I N G

I mean - once you have been told that a certain SW symbol is a written
representative of a movement with all its individuel aspects (handform,
direction, tension, location ...) = you are willing to accept that .
The next time you are confronted with this symbol you will remember this
memorized code and will be able to read (to understand) this sign. Its
fantastic to look at my first grade students or at my little son (3 years
old) how easy they can identify soooo many different signs. Well they are
able to read the whole sentence as a meaningfull entity. They accept the
writing as a form of how you can express a question or an instruction ...

But - this also happens, if the spelling of the signs is wrong !
One point that I ±> interested in is the difference of the two reading
styles: The higher achievement level of reading SW you will expect among
those readers who are fluent Signers and who are able to analyze every
single element of the whole symbol. (The " CAR " competent analyzing
Reader)

The better you can do that, the better you have understood the principles
and conventions about WRITING SW the better you will probably be able to
read even completely new SW literature.

My experience with all the learners I'm happy to comunicate with is that
they are able to learn to read the symbols almost like flashcards -- soooo
fast!
But if they don ±² overcome the level to read the signs "only" like
pictograms - they will get in trouble .. ;-(
They will get confused or simply ignore the difference between similar
symbols that differ only in one or two aspects - the more complex a symbol
is the greater the chance to take a "new" sign for different one that has
been introduced in the past. This should be an interesting question for more
studies in the future Eh ?

All the best Stefan ;-)

- especially as a beginner. This happens

  Replies Author Date
4746 Re(2): sign language processing and computational Ingvild Roald Fri  4/6/2001

  Message 4745  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index