forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4779  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Apr 11, 2001  2:48 pm
Subject:  SignWriting in the Arabic Nations

From: "mohamed mahmod"
To: SignWriting List
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001

>Hello valerie
>Nowadays I try study and learn more about your project (sw) of ASL
>.I still need more about the base of sw to make a similar thing in
>Arabic Sign Language (ArSL)
>In Arabic language we don’t use the Latin alphabet but we use other
>different alphabet like
>(Ã,È,Ê,Ë,Ì…) Etc Its write from right to left .We use different
>finger spelling, so, (sw,ArSL) will not be as same as (sw, ASL)
>There are 22 Arab countries with 220 millions population (Saudi
>Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Morocco, Algeria, Libya,
>Lebanon, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain…) so it will be great thing to
>make special (ArSL)
>Mrs. Val
>When I talk about the sw some doesn’t confess, some laugh others
>give a little encourages. But as what in some your paper its needs a
>time
>In coming days I’ll send you membership fee & the total cost of the
>order form including the post mail cost
> At last I want to ask if I can be recorded in (DAC.org) as first
>Arabic man ,first Jordanian , or first one in Saudi Arabia “ I am
>Jordanian work in Saudi Arabia” work with you
>Thanks 4
>Mohamed Abushaira

>Mohamed Ismail Mahmod Abushaira
>Deaf Children Institute
>Qasseem - Buraidah
>Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

April 11, 2001

Dear Mohamed!
Many thanks for this message. It is wonderful to receive a message
from the Arabic nations...

Yes...you are the first person to work with me on writing Arabic Sign
Language...

Or are there separate signed languages in each Arabic-speaking country?

No matter what, we can write your signed languages in
SignWriting....so I look forward to helping as much as I can!

And I have posted this message to the SignWriting List, so that it is
officially recorded that you are the first ;-)

I hope SignWriting becomes a blessing for your Deaf Children
Institute in Saudi Arabia...

Valerie Sutton

PS. I do have a good friend, who is Deaf, from Saudi Arabia. His name
is Abdul Aziz Al-Obaid, and he was interviewed about SignWriting on
our video "Deaf Perspectives on SignWriting". Although Abdul Aziz
never worked with me on writing the language itself, he is clearly
very supportive and wants SignWriting to spread in Saudi Arabia. You
can read his interview on the web:

Interview with Abdul Aziz Al-Obaid
https://www.SignWriting.org/deaf/deaf005.html

Do you know Abdul Aziz Al-Obaid?