forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4802  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  7:48 pm
Subject:  Writing Italian Sign Language (without knowing the language ;-)

This question came from Italy:

>Our seminar will be
>on "Writing and transcribing signed texts in LIS", and we will describe,
>among other things, the nice job you did for us last Summer, i.e. writing
>down for us that LIS sentence we sent you, even though you don't know LIS.
>In other words, we will emphasize the interesting advantages SignWriting
>appears to offer, that people like you were capable of putting down on
>paper a (quite accurate!) written rendition of the sentence, SignWriting
>worked well enough to allow that.

>Now, IF I didn't give you the
>translation of the sentence, what you achieved with SignWriting is even
>more impressive, in my view, because you were capable of parsing the
>elements of the sentence with your writing system in a way that was
>meaningful enough.
-------------------------------

SignWriting List
April 16, 2001

My dear friends ;-)

No. I do not know what the Italian Sign Language says...nor does it
matter! I can transcribe anything that moves, whether it has meaning
or not. We can write animal movements, and dance and mime, so
obviously I can write without knowing what the sentence means ;-)

I transcribed the Italian signs from a videoclip in Quicktime,
without knowing the meaning of the sentence myself...

Here is the first of three examples of what I wrote:

Attachment
ItalianSigns1.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

4803 Re: Writing Italian Sign Language (without knowin Valerie Sutton Mon  4/16/2001
4804 Re: Writing Italian Sign Language (without knowin Valerie Sutton Mon  4/16/2001
4808 Re: Writing Italian Sign Language (without knowin Stefan Woehrmann2 Tue  4/17/2001

  Message 4802  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index