forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4807  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann2
Date:  Tue Apr 17, 2001  2:45 pm
Subject:  Re: Hard-to-Write Handshapes

Dear Valerie and List .. .

Valerie wrote:
(...)
It is hard to teach by email because it takes time to prepare the
diagrams, and while I am preparing them, new questions are asked.

Isn ±² that great ? People are so interested to learn and to understand .
Some of them don ±² simply accept the written SW - symbol as a kind of
pictogramm which should be interpreted ....
No - we are interested to understand the idea behind it in order to become
independent SW-authors - eh -
I love to read any question - and I ±> happy if people realize that there are
parts and pieces they get in trouble with if somebody else would ask them
for explanations -

Then the lesson plan, which I had organized in advance, gets changed,
and instead I am chasing after the questions, trying to answer them
all...without any consistency to the subject matter.

.... hmm teaching is an interesting matter - eh
I learned from a psychologist - "following the child's LEAD " should
guarantee at best that I'm going to explain the things he/she is able to
understand - because it is his/her need to get this piece of information -

Same should be true for grown up students

The problem might be that all of us are "visiting one and the same email
course- and we don ±² know each other and our level of competence in
understanding SW is not the same - advanced - beginners - all in one
class - and all the time we love to welcome newcomer.

And then I cannot physically show you what I am writing...so we are
dependent on words to describe movement...and words just aren't good
enough.

Yes you are right! Words aren't often good enough to describe movement - and
that is the crucial argument to learn SW - eh !!

Thank you for the photo, Stefan. It is from the Receptive Viewpoint.
Someday I need some Expressive photos, so we would be seeing the
hands from the signer's point of view...the way you really write it.
But if you are willing to read the Receptive Writing, and learn to
switch to Expressive, I will be happy to write on top of the
Receptive Photos.

Well you are elcome any time to ask for more ;-) I'll be happy to
contribute photos from the Viewpoints (expressive, receptive, top - down -;
front -- Just tell me and I'll try my best -
Once I have understood a special symbol it seems so obvious to me - so easy
to learn - but to get there the photos
are a wonderfull help !

All the best

Stefan ;-)

  Message 4807  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index