forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5054  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Mon Jun 4, 2001  3:10 pm
Subject:  Re: FENEIS Conference - Porto Alegre Brasil

Thanks for the encouragement.

The Bilingual Dictionary is proceeding apace with many
members of FENEIS here in Porto Alegre very much
interested in helping to send signs for research.
There are many dialects of Libras, with many variant
signs. Mamae (mother) has at least six signs which I
saw in use this weekend, and there was even a rather
strong discussion between a Deaf person from Sao Paulo
who was watching an interpreter use a variant sign
from what she had learned in Sao Paulo saying "sinal
errado" (that sign is wrong). The Deaf in Porto
Alegre were very clear that their dialect is as good
as any other dialect in Brasil, and that ALL
communication needs to be respected. A dictionary
that will list as many variations as we expect to find
for various terms such as mamae, papae (I know three),
verde (green - there are at least three or four I have
seen) is going to be a challenge. We had Surdos
(Deaf) and Ouvinte (Listening) persons for the weekend
from Parana, Santa Catarina, and Bahia (three other
states) and all of their sign languages have some
variant signs. Because we are trying to make our
process open (aberta) it will be a real joy to see the
many variations in signs. It is like the six
different words in Portuguese for the fruit we call
"tangerine" in the U.S. In Bahia it is called one
thing, in Porto Alegre, another, in Sao Paulo,
something else, in Rio de Janeiro, a fourth thing, all
for the fruit "tangerine".

This, however we get it funded, will be an ongoing
project for many years.

Among other things we are making dominoes with Libras
signs, possibly Bingo, and I just designed a poster in
the Alfabeto Movimento to parallel the posters that
the conference had on the Alfabeto Manual. It really
helps, immediately, to show to the Deaf that their
alfabet actually has between 69 and 70 classifiers as
opposed to the 37 of the manual alphabet plus numbers.
Plus it is an 'alfabet movimento', which makes all
the difference in the world. Rather than 37
fingerspelling/numeric signs, as all sign language
researchers know, all the classifiers have at least 8
rotations in space, and 6 basic orientations. We have
been trying to think of a way to make a scrabble
equivalent, and the only way I have thought of today,
in my musings, is to take the 70 handshapes of Libras,
in their six orientations, and put them on stickers to
put on dice. Then with dice that show movements of
left and right hands, and maybe a face and a body
(remember old Stanley and Sheila, the Stick Family)
one could learn Libras or ASL by playing games,
rolling the dice, picking a couple of handshapes and
seeing if one can think of signs that use them, either
together or in a sentence or two in ASL or Libras.

Talk about ideas fermenting in one's brain, I have
been working 14 hours a day for two months now and I
still keep thinking of ideas.

I will certainly be keeping in touch with you and our
many new friends in Brasil.

Charles Butler