forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5290  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jul 23, 2001  2:57 pm
Subject:  Project for Deaf in developing countries

SignWriting List
July 23, 2001

Dear SignWriting List Members:
I just received this information. It is a new project to help Deaf
people in developing countries. Although this project has nothing to
do with SignWriting at this time, I hope they will incorporate
SignWriting into their program, and I plan to write to them about
this.

FROM:
Kevin Long

Hello, I am looking for contacts in developing countries.

My name is Kevin Long and I am a Co-Director of a Minnesota based =
nonprofit organization called East African Deaf Connection. =
www.deafconnection.org

Our Mission is to create a new supportive cycle =
of Deaf education in developing countries through teacher to teacher =
support and mentoring programs. Our mission is an idea that can easily =
be repeated in developing countries around the world. That is why we are =
restructuring the organization and renaming it to be The Global Deaf =
Connection.=

We are currently researching other Deaf organizations and/or churches =
that are interested in collaborating with our expansion. If you have ANY =
contacts of Deaf schools in developing countries that could use support, =
please let me know.
Warmly,

Kevin Long

www.deafconnection.org

-------------------------------

1) The Cultural Exchange and Support Services Program

This program provides members from the Deaf community with the =
opportunity to assist Deaf people in other countries with locally =
initiated projects that support schools for Deaf children. Co-directed =
by a Deaf American and a Deaf person from the host country, the =
volunteers provide mental and physical labor for projects that improve =
existing schools for Deaf children. The program focus is on the cultural =
exchange for both the American volunteers and the Deaf people in the =
host country. Hearing and Deaf volunteers will be recruited for this =
program. The over-all goal of the program is to enhance the leadership =
and mentorship skills of all volunteers involved.=20

2) The Teaching Skills Exchange Program - Launched in 2000 The Teaching =
Skills Exchange program sends teams of Deaf education professionals from =
America to Kenya for five weeks where they volunteer at the Deaf high =
school in Kenya. The volunteers mentor the Deaf students and improve the =
communication skills of the hearing teachers at that Deaf school. The =
Deaf Kenyan students, for the first time, are inspired by successful =
Deaf adults. The hearing teachers improve their sign language which =
allows them to communicate their knowledge to the students. This program =
creates a launch pad for the Furthering Education program. The Teaching =
Skills Exchange program has been step one of the new cycle.=20

3) The Furthering Education Program - Launched in 1999

The Furthering Education Program, building off the Teaching Skills =
Exchange Program, sponsors Deaf Kenyan high school graduates into a =
teacher training college (located in Kenya) with full-time Kenyan Sign =
Language interpreters. This model program is a first-of-a-kind for all =
of Africa, that demonstrates equal access to education . The Deaf Kenyan =
students graduate from teacher training college and are hired by the =
Kenyan government to teach at a school for Deaf children. As a Deaf =
Kenyan teacher, they become a life-time mentor for the Deaf students at =
their school and a permanent Kenyan Sign Language instructor for the =
hearing teachers. The Furthering Education program is step two of the =
new cycle.=20

4) The Teacher to Teacher Program - Launch Date 2002

The Teacher to Teacher Program, building off of the Furthering Education =
Program, will be a mentoring program that connects a Deaf education =
teacher from America with a beginning Deaf teacher in Kenya. The =
American volunteer, for five weeks, works one on one with a new Deaf =
Kenyan teacher. The American volunteer will develop a supportive and =
mentoring relationship with the Deaf Kenyan that will continue via email =
after the one on one mentoring in Kenya is completed. The Teacher to =
Teacher program establishes a long lasting support system and a personal =
mentor for the new Deaf Kenyan teacher. The goal of the American =
volunteer is to support the new Deaf Kenyan teacher so that he or she =
can be a future mentor for the next Deaf Kenyan teacher to work at their =
school. The experience will be one of professional interaction and =
exchange based on respect for each other's culture. The Teacher to =
Teacher program is the third step of the new cycle. The Teacher to =
Teacher program brings my concept full circle and lays the ground work =
for the cycle to continue on its own.=20