forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5382  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Jul 30, 2001  9:27 pm
Subject:  Windows Paint program has no GIF choice?...

Stefan wrote:
>just copy the DOS - screen of the SW 4.4 program (press the print- key)
>insert this into the file of the Paint Program
>and save it as gif

SignWriting List
July 30, 2001

Hi Stefan -

Yes, of course screen captures are easy. The problem is this:

In the Windows 98 operating system that I have here, on a computer
that is two years old, the basic Paint program that comes with
Windows cannot save as a GIF. At least...that was my assumption. I am
a Mac-trained person using Windows (without training), so I can make
a mistake and assume that Windows is working exactly like a Mac...and
that may not be the case....

When I create the screen capture and paste it into the Windows Paint
program, I then go "Save As", and the pull-down menu only gives me a
choice of .BMP. There is no .GIF or .JPEG to choose....So I assumed
that a GIF therefore was not possible, if it did not give me that
choice.

I therefore went to PhotoShop, or Corel Draw on Windows, to create the GIFs.

So how do you get the GIF from the basic Windows Paint Program? Does
your computer give you a choice of a GIF? If so, then the German
version of Paint is better!!

Or let me ask you...can you type the name of the file with the ending
..gif, and get a .gif? On the Mac, you would have to have a pull-down
menu giving you that option....
--

Val ;->