forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5506  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Aug 18, 2001  4:13 pm
Subject:  Re: name sign - England

>Hi Valerie and friends - especially in England ;-) ,
>here is our next gif and attached question -
>We have trouble to understand the spelling of version a )
>Any comments ? Suggestions? Explanations ? L I F E
>Stefan ;-)

SignWriting List
August 18, 2001

Hello Stefan -
The only correct spelling is the one that is on the web page...The
"a" diagram in your diagram is the only way it can be spelled...

I will try to get to teaching you why in depth later...but quickly:

The fingers (not the thumb) of the right hand wrap around and down in
front of the flat hand, actually holding the flat hand. The thumb is
very unimportant in comparison to the majority of fingers, which wrap
down and around. In fact, the thumb could easily be taken away, and
it could be read well... probably better, in fact, judging by your
confusion.

I know it looks weird, because if you really write the hand on top of
the other, then the two hands blend and you can't read either of
them...that is why there is a separation between the two hands...but
with the Grasp symbol, it shows they are really grasping each other.

Take a photo of the hands together, and then write the SignWriting on
top of the photo...you will see that the direction of the majority of
the fingers are more important than the thumb....The direction of the
majority of fingers rule.

The only way to check yourself, is to take a photo or illustration,
and write the SignWriting symbol directly on each hand in the photo -
then you know you are writing it correctly.. when the symbols and
photos match...

And taking thumbs too seriously can be a mistake in other ways. For
example, sometimes thumbs are very important when they are doing the
contacting like in the sign for "Father", in ASL, but other times
they are actually meaningless and are just one particular signer's
style of signing...Sometimes when thumbs protrude, they are just a
relaxed version of the official handshape and bear no meaning at
all...so thumbs are not always important...and in this case, if the
thumb was taken away, it probably would be easier to read.
--

Val ;->