forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5584  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Tue Aug 28, 2001  12:23 pm
Subject:  Re: your mail

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, mohamed mahmod wrote:

> 1: It is one stander Arabic Language for all Arabic countries from
> Morocco to Iraq, for practical example watches the Arabic TVs news
> every night although some countries use the Arabic alphabet and Arabic
> numbers but they are not Arabs like Iran Kurdistan

Thanks for writing, Mohamed. Yes, the differences we were talking
about in terms of Arabic were not in the standard, but the spoken
varieties, some of which are more different from each other than Swedish
and Danish.

> 2:for ArSL as I said before there are differences but the deaf can
> manage it The problems come because there isn ª² standard or
> grammatical SL .So we can say that the ArSL is a description Sign
> Language so the deaf person can under stand each other in Arabic
> countries

I don't understand. If the Deaf can manage, why do they need this
description? What problems come from the lack of a standard Sign
Language?

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 5584  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index