forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5883  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Sun Nov 11, 2001  8:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Is SignWriting Necessary?

Hi Jerry!

I think I may not have clearly stated the context that Joseph was
writing. He was talking about a particular situation, for example that of
English in the Middle Ages. In that situation, English was the vernacular
(L) and Latin was the standard (H). He was talking about two groups of
people: the "higher social strata," who had spent years of their lives
learning to read the standard, and the "avant-garde," who had also learned
the standard and seen the benefits of a standard language, but wanted to
replace the old standard (Latin) with a new one based on the vernacular
(English).

In the case of English and Latin, there were numerous people who
believed fervently that Latin was superior to English, and English was not
appropriate for use in the higher functions of law, the Church or science.
They had spent a lot of time trying to learn Latin, and were upset at the
idea of others being allowed to use the standard functions without
spending the effort that they did. That's my interpretation of the quote.

I'm not sure how that applies to your case. Certainly, you're
talking about one group of people trying to control the way that the other
speaks, but it doesn't sound like a struggle over which language should be
the standard for your speech community.

--
-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Message 5883  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index