forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5943  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  5:31 pm
Subject:  Re: research paper on sign writing

SignWriting List
November 24, 2001

Leigh wrote:
>How does, or can , sign writing be applied to all signed languages?
>speaking , how did you make the leap?

I didn't make that leap, Leigh. I invented a way to write all body
movement, and then I worked with people who knew signed languages,
and as they wrote their signs, I documented what was chosen and what
was not chosen, and slowly we are where we are today...but it is
evolving, just as writing systems for all languages evolve over time.

And I am open to people's suggestions...and I am no dictator! I hate
that idea...I do not want veto power...I hope that if I pass away
tomorrow, that people will still use SignWriting, with their own
choices of symbols, after I am gone ;-)

Here is one article on the web about the evolution:

How SignWriting Has Changed
The Evolution of Writing Styles

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

Read & Write Sign Languages

Sign Language Dictionaries

Read & Write Dance

Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 5943  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index