forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5932  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Leigh Golston
Date:  Sat Nov 24, 2001  3:01 am
Subject:  research paper on sign writing

How does, or can , sign writing be applied to all signed languages? It seems
to us from reviewing briefly Dance Writing that you have successfully
taking the phonemes of movement, body (vs. palm) orientation, location and
the shapes of the movement and created a notation system that allows one to
see and understand the individual components of each step. We see that the
same has occured with Sign Writing and signed language. But linguistically
speaking , how did you make the leap?
We are also making the assumption in our paper that since all signed
languages use the same phonemic units, then Sign Writing can be applied to
all signed languages. If we are correct, do you have any sources you can
direct us to, to support this?
I hope this makes sense. we are thrilled to be researching this topic, it
holds great fascination for us as ITP students.
Look forward to hearing from you soon,
Leigh Golston (I'm the inquirer)
Jesse Mohandessi
Yvonne MacKay
PS- A brief introduction: There are 3 ITP students @ Seattle Central
Community College in Washington state. All of us have arrived at this point
in different ways. Since I am writing this on behalf of my team this intro is
about me.
I became interested in ASL many years, growing up with a hard-of-hearing
father. I never thought about signing as a career and came to my decision to
became an interpreter late in life.( I'm 47). To complete the requirements
for an AA degree (I have a BA and BFA) we are required to take lingusitics.
Our instructor is marvelous and challenging. Really, it is the topic itself
that's challenging and fascinating. I told him in the first part of the
quarter that I loved the class but that I expected to fall it! We'll see but
either way I'll go down smiling!!
Thanks.

  Replies Author Date
5933 Re: research paper on sign writing Karen A. Van Hoek Sat  11/24/2001
5941 Re: research paper on sign writing Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001
5935 Re: research paper on sign writing Leigh Golston Sat  11/24/2001
5940 Re: research paper on sign writing Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001
5936 Re: research paper on sign writing Stefan Woehrmann2 Sat  11/24/2001
5942 Re: research paper on sign writing Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001
5939 SW Programming Questions from Antony.... Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001
5943 Re: research paper on sign writing Valerie Sutton Sat  11/24/2001

  Message 5932  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index