forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6005  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Wed Dec 5, 2001  5:20 pm
Subject:  Re: SignoEscritura and SenaGraf Mß .

Since I am neither a native nor fluent speaker of spanish, I can only
comment upon what my Nicaraguan colleagues do. The common term for
SignWriting in Bluefields is Escribiendo de Senas -- whether that is
grammatical or not, I really am not sure. Nobody says SignoEscritura.

Also, "senas" is used more than "signos", although either seems acceptable
to hearing people. The Deaf in the Deaf Association in Managua dropped
"signos" in favor of "senas" a few years back. Few if any can read much
spanish, so I do not know their motivation for the change, but presumably a
native spanish speaker guided them.

We do not use the term "lengua", but rather "idioma" to describe a language
in the fullest sense of the word. Hence: Idioma de Senas de Nicaragua.
Linguists use "Lengua de Senas de Nicaragua" to describe a communication
system used by some Deaf Nicaraguans that lacks the richness and
sophistication of the signed language. LSN tends to be used by adults who
are late language learners, particularly those who were already fairly "old"
(i.e., teenagers or beyond) when Idioma de Senas first emerged. In short,
"lengua" suggests a communication system of some sort, but "idioma" refers
to any full language.

-- James Shepard-Kegl

  Message 6005  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index