forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6116  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Dec 30, 2001  8:00 pm
Subject:  Re: ZURICH: Mouth Gestures

>Stefan wrote: I guess - if both of us would transcribe a SL mit
>mouth gestures that is
>unfamiliar to both of us (remember the Japanes bible transcription
>project - ha - has influenced very much my way of spelling - ) our outcomes
>would become pretty much the same ?? Hope so ! - ha

I am glad to know that little course on video transcription was
useful for you, Stefan...

Even within MovementWriting, which is general and not specific to one
language, there are differences between movement notators, and their
choices of symbols.

A lot has to do with the fact that each writer has to make decisions.
They have to choose from several possible symbols. For example, if a
mouth movement in Japanese Sign Language has protruding lips, there
are several symbols for protruding lips of different styles. Which
style to choose? It can get horribly picky...(grin)....So it is
possible for two movement notators to make different choices too....

Even videotape machines can have glitches that do not show every
frame of movement - So even machines aren't standard - ha!

___________________________

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

SignWritingSite
https://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignBankSite
https://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

DanceWritingSite
https://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

MovementWritingSite
https://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Message 6116  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index