forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6151  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jan 5, 2002  7:37 pm
Subject:  "Metalinguistics"...what is it?

>>Anne-Claude Prelaz wrote: I'm a speech therapist, sign language
>>interpreter and a student in linguistics in the University of
>>Neuchatel, Switzerland (french speaking part of Switzerland). I've
>>always been interested in the difficulties that deaf children meet
>>with writing and reading... one of my hypothesis being that, if
>>they could really develop metalinguistics skills in SL, they would
>>more easily learn to read and write french (or any other language).

SignWriting List
January 5, 2001

Thank you for your introduction, Anne-Claude, and welcome to the
List! I have a quick question myself....

What is "metalinguistics", versus general linguistics?

The phrase "metalinguistics skills in Sign Language" is new to me,
and I want to make sure I understand exactly what your study entails,
before I start answering your questions...

Does anyone else know what metalinguistics is?

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

....visit the...

Read & Write Sign Languages

Sign Language Dictionaries

Read & Write Dance

Read & Write Movement & Gesture

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

  Replies Author Date
6152 Re: "Metalinguistics"...what is it? Henk Pel Sat  1/5/2002

  Message 6151  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index