forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6174  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jan 11, 2002  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions for a Notation Comparisons Study

>>* On 1/11/02, Susanne Bentele wrote: Are all of them in use or do
>>you know of a symbol that (more or less) nobody uses?

SignWriting List
January 11, 2002

Yes. All of them are in use. But not everyone uses all of them.

All of the symbols, old and new, are stored in "Sutton Movement
Writing". Each country writes their Sign Language as they choose,
using the symbols they need from Sutton Movement Writing. So we have
a big "storage closet" of symbols to turn to, when the need arises...

And since each country or region has a different Sign Language, some
may choose to use more symbols than others, depending on their
language.