forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6254  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jan 24, 2002  3:29 pm
Subject:  Re: Hello from North Carolina- New kid on the block.

>Brooke from North Carolina wrote: Hello all! I am so excited about
>trying SW with my middle school Deaf and Hard of Hearing students.
>I have a small program in a rural county. One student in particular
>will benefit greatly from this method.

SignWriting List
January 24, 2002

Welcome, Brooke, to the SignWriting List!

And thank you for your introduction. I am happy to know that
SignWriting will be used with your deaf students...

There is another teacher, Robin Homesley, and also an interpreter,
Donna Thompson, who work together in North Carolina, at the New
Century Middle School and Union Pines High School.

Robin used SignWriting last year to teach a profoundly deaf student
that is also mentally disabled. I understand that the student did
very well with SignWriting and read and wrote for the first time in
her life...

And it was Donna who took the brave "first step" with SignWriting
with deaf students, and found that they read SignWriting quickly
too...

I would suggest contacting them. Perhaps you can support each other?:

Robin Homesley
Teacher of the Deaf

Donna Thompson
Lead Interpreter

Joan Frye, Principal
New Century Middle School
1577 Union Church Road
Cameron, NC. 28326
910-947-1301

George Griffin, Ed.D
Principal
Union Pines High School
1981 Union Church Road
Cameron, North Carolina, 28326
910-947-5511

Lisa Akers
Assistant Principal, Union Pines
910-947-5511

  Message 6254  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index