forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 6292  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Dan Parvaz
Date:  Thu Jan 31, 2002  7:21 am
Subject:  Re: ARABIC NATIONS: 36 teachers using SW...

> Can you describe or use SW to show me how Deaf people in your country
> sign the Prophet's name?

I'd love to hear from Mohamed how the name of the prophet Muhammad
(pbuh) is signed in Saudi Arabia. I've included the Jordanian (LIU) sign
here.

Attachment
mohamed.jpg
Type: image/jpeg

On the left is the sign, which sort of looks like a hand holding a sword
and waving it in the air. When I asked my consultants whether there was
some sort of sword metonym, they said that they didn't think so.
Instead, the way the name Muhammed is often handwritten in Arabic (the
thing on the right) includes a zig-zag which is what is being
represented in the sign.

Cheers,

Dan.
  Message 6292  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index