forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1720  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Aug 22, 1999  4:39 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Name Signs

>In english, for example, John likes loody vs. John likes Loody. In the
>first case, I would guess loody to be perhaps a food. Anyway, I would
>expect to find "loody" in a dictionary. In the second case, I would assume
>Loody to be a person, and I wouldn't bother looking up the meaning in a
>dictionary. So, we found it useful to use underlining since we can't
>capitalize.
>
>-- James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What an interesting point, James, about names in English being
"capitalized" etc....

In regards to SignWriting, even though we don't "capitalize" at the moment,
in time that may start happening, but a little differently than in written
English....

For example, some signed languages may use facial expressions to "mark" a
proper name. In that case, the facial expression is similar to the marker
of a capital letter in English.

And, as computer programs for typing SignWriting become more sophisticated,
we might be able to make certain signs bolder, italicized, larger or
smaller than the rest of the type, or in different colors.

And yes - underlining too - just as you mentioned you are doing now, by hand.

Valerie ;-)

  Message 1720  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index