forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1719  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Thu Jul 22, 1999  2:34 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Name Signs

A suggestion for whatever its worth...
In Nicaragua, we found it useful to designate proper nouns (name signs for
people, cities, etc.) by underlining the sign. Hence, we are able to
distinguish nina (little girl) from Nina (one of Columbus' ships) without
getting confused.

In english, for example, John likes loody vs. John likes Loody. In the
first case, I would guess loody to be perhaps a food. Anyway, I would
expect to find "loody" in a dictionary. In the second case, I would assume
Loody to be a person, and I wouldn't bother looking up the meaning in a
dictionary. So, we found it useful to use underlining since we can't
capitalize.

-- James

  Replies Author Date
1720 Re: Writing Name Signs Valerie Sutton Sun  8/22/1999
1722 Re: Writing Name Signs Judy A. Kegl Mon  8/23/1999
1723 Re: Writing Name Signs Valerie Sutton Mon  8/23/1999

  Message 1719  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index