forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 3591  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stefan Woehrmann
Date:  Sat Jun 17, 2000  10:39 am
Subject:  Re: Irish Blessing "peace"

Dear Valerie,

thanks for your reply .

> At 1:05 AM +0200 6/17/00, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> >What about guessing about the endpositions of the hands? I assume that
the
> >palms are parallel to the floor in the end - both palms down is this
> >correct? Do you think we should express that with additional
endpositions
> >for the hands as there direction has changed ?

Valerie answered> June 16, 2000

(...)

(...)...the reason I didn't bother to
> write the finishing position is because there was no palm facing
> change nor was there any other kind of change. So there was no reason
> to write anything more.

That is great ! That is exactly the point which I would like to discuss. I
looked up the signs for peace in ASL (just the versions that are offered in
our SW 4.3 programm Dictionary 001 and compared the version #2 with what is
written by Charles. I looked up the German DGS sign (one version) for "peace
= Friede(n) ". Hmm - Now I have to decide - is this spelling from Charles
another sign for peace (Irish SL ) - endposition hands up parallel to the
wall (have a look at my gif "Peace Frieden" ) or is it just a kind of
"tight SW spelling " that is (only ) understood by people who are familiar
with the SL, the context, the style of the author and so on.

Hello Charles , can you answer this question - please ?

Valerie, - when you explain to me ...

(...)...the reason I didn't bother to
> write the finishing position is because there was no palm facing
> change nor was there any other kind of change. So there was no reason
> to write anything more.

I understand: Donīt interpret anything. Just read the signs as they are
presented ! Hhmm. In case I īve got no idea about the meaning of a sign , in
case of gymnastics , dance or mimic art - no problem - but as soon as I try
to understand the message or as soon as I am interested to learn another
SignLanguage it is important to be able to learn what the author of the
SW-sign had in mind.
Do you remember your comment on Cecilias pupils error when they signed the
sign for "walk" in a different way ?
Itīs just this - to learn to understand the writing . Do read the signs
instead of signing what is based on additional background -Knowledge. That
makes our Japanese bible- project to important to me. Joe Martin wrote
this wonderfull story about the two people who tried to understand a Russian
text -- ;-) reading but not knowing, listening and understanding but unable
to read - Same experiments would be great in our field!

Thanks for your attention Itīs so much fun to learn SW ;-)))))

Stefan ;-)

Attachment
peace Frieden.gif
Type: image/gif

3592 Re: Irish Blessing "peace" Valerie Sutton Sat  6/17/2000
3593 When the palm facing doesn't change.... Valerie Sutton Sat  6/17/2000
3594 Re: Irish Blessing "peace" Valerie Sutton Sat  6/17/2000

  Message 3591  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index