forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5168  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Roald
Date:  Mon Jun 25, 2001  12:58 pm
Subject:  Re(2): "ABC Stories" in ASL

Hi,

I find this very interesting. One of my collegues want to make her
doctoral study now on this sort of 'playing with the signs', the
'meta-lingusitic compentcy', to see if that could be a sort of mark of the
child's readiness to learn another language (in our case, Norwegian). I
have planned to tag along with her studies, because I already planned a
sort of ABC or 'first reader' for deaf children, to start their reading
experience in the alnguage that our parliament has already decided is
their natural primary language. (it is wonderful what may be allowed to do
once you have prved yourself worthy of a doctoral title - mine is awarded
now, and I'm back on the list)

Ingvild

>Cecelia Smith wrote:
>>However, I am also familiar with "handshape" stories .. which is what I
>would
>>have termed what Val described - using a single handshape for an entire
>>story. For example, the handshape for the nuimber 1 -- using both
>hands,
>>you can show 2 people approach, bump into each other, turn away ... look
>>back, come together, walk away together -- end with the sign "friend"
>(which
>>uses that hand shape.. basically)
>

>SignWriting List
>June 20, 2001
>
>Yes! Cecilia...this is exactly what I was thinking of....Last evening
>I was talking with a linguist on the telephone and I told her of my
>misunderstanding about the ABC stories and she told me that she had
>attended a lecture once, by Bernard Bragg, a Deaf actor here in the
>US. Bernard had mentioned the kind of story you mention above...so
>they did exist...but hard to know if any of them are written down and
>preserved...that would be a great preservation project...to go to the
>Deaf schools to record their literature...
>
>Val ;-)

  Replies Author Date
5171 Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Mon  6/25/2001
5172 Re: Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Ingvild Roald Tue  6/26/2001
5175 Re: Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Wed  6/27/2001
5194 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Ingvild Roald Thu  6/28/2001
5198 To order the Brazilian Sign Dictionary Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001
5199 Re(2): Ingvild's Doctorate ;-) Valerie Sutton Thu  6/28/2001

  Message 5168  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index