forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5250  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jul 17, 2001  1:31 pm
Subject:  Sign Symbol Sequence (SSS)

SignWriting List
July 17, 2001

Hello Everyone!
Today I am meeting with Todd Duell, our FileMaker programmer. He and
I will be testing whether our new SignBank database works or
not.....I bet today we will find many areas that need
improvement...so we are all working together as a team, and later I
will need your feedback to make a good database. Tomorrow I will
outline for you what happened in our meeting, so the SW List can
participate in this process...

Your questions are always welcome...and they are needed!

So thank you for your question, Ingvild, which was a good question,
and for this insight:

Ingvild Roald wrote:
>It is wonderful to have this symbol list for the computers, but I think we
>need to bear in mind that for the actual signing, the 'articulation' may
>vary slightly from sign language to sign language and from signer to
>signer. It will not be nearly as varied as the pronounciation of the latin
>alphabeth by speakers, anyway. But still, what constitutes a significant
>differnce in one language community is of no concern to another. That is
>partly why I am so pleased whith the concept of 'action fingers', which
>means that we may let the others 'rest'.

Regarding this....Let me quickly share an experience I had in Denmark
years ago...

In ASL the "index finger with a tight fist" has a different meaning
than an "index finger with an open fist....a circle base". The
meaning changes by the change in "base" handshape in ASL.

But apparently that is not always true in Danish Sign Language.
Whether the base shape is a tight fist, or an open one....the two
handshapes have the same meaning because they both use the index
finger...that was a new concept for me at the time I learned
that...and it fits with what Ingvild mentioned above...

So that is why I have differentiated between "action fingers" and
"base shapes" in the SymbolBank database...I will explain this more
tomorrow!

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
--

Val ;->