forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1001  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Feb 9, 1999  4:11 am
Subject:  Re: Children Learning SignWriting

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Lourdes wrote:
>Wow, 5 years old can read. Most common children can read in English for the
>very first time when they were late 6 years old or 7 years old. It seems
>to me that Signwriting is much more easier read for the children.
__________________

You know, Lourdes, I think you are correct about that....I believe that
some research points to the fact that even hearing children may possibly
learn to sign faster than they learn to speak. Are there any List members
who know of such research? Is signing learned faster than speaking?

Anyway - I have always suspected that some children may learn to read and
write SignWriting faster than learning to read and write a spoken
language....but because SignWriting is so new, the issue has never been
tested or studied.

Valerie ':-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1001  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index