forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1008  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 10, 1999  6:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Children Learning SignWriting

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Jean Johnson wrote:
>I've read a few studies regarding acquisition of ASL. Deaf children of
>Deaf parents were compared with hearing children of hearing parents to
>find out the stages of acquisition for various language patterns. From
>what I understand, Deaf babies do show a difference in ability to express
>their language at an earlier age. Most Deaf of Deaf babies show one
>sign utterances begin around the age of six months whereas hearing babies
>of hearing parents show a one word sutterance at the age of 12 months.
_____________________

Wow. Deaf babies are six months ahead of the hearing babies...that is
fascinating!

Thank you so much, Jean, for the great information -

Valerie ':-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1008  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index