forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1017  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Feb 10, 1999  10:34 pm
Subject:  Re: Egyptian Sign Language

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Harry Blackmore wrote:

> Perhaps Dr Esam may be able to tell us if there are references to
> deafness or deaf people in the hieroglyph writings of ancient times in
> his country - earliest form of 'signwriting', eh! :-)

I sat in on a few classes in Middle Egyptian when I was an
undergrad, and didn't notice any references to deafness. You realize that
Egyptian hieroglyphics were an alphabetic system, similar to Roman, and
not very different from the real SignWriting.

-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department
The University of New Mexico

  Replies Author Date
1019 Re: Egyptian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Thu  2/11/1999
1025 Re: Egyptian Sign Language Angus B. Grieve-Smith Thu  2/11/1999

  Message 1017  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index