forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1018  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 11, 1999  12:07 am
Subject:  Re: Egyptian Sign Language

>Perhaps Dr Esam may be able to tell us if there are
>references to deafness or deaf people in the hieroglyph
>writings of ancient times in his country - earliest form
>of 'signwriting', eh! :-)
>
>Harry Blackmore
___________________

Hi Harry!
Maybe there are references to deafness in Egyptian history - why not?

I was so impressed with the beautiful letter Dr. Esam sent me - you should
see the writing paper - it is with a design of Egyptian art and
hieroglyphs, with a parchment-like feel to the paper - very artistic.

Dr. Esam tells me that he works with a group of volunteers trying to bring
Deaf people literacy in Egypt and he is hoping SignWriting will help. They
are trying to develop new curriculum for literacy for the Deaf there, and
to also record Egyptian Sign Language.

So writing Egyptian Sign Language will be new for all of us...but I hope I
can send them something that will be useful.

Valerie ':-)

Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1018  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index