forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1110  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Mar 8, 1999  4:12 pm
Subject:  Jordan High School Georgia #2

To: SignWriting List
Subject: Re: Web Report #1
From: Cynthia LW Frey
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:39:02 EST

Cynthia Frey
Teacher of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
Jordan Vocational High School
Columbus, Georgia

Web Report #1
For Participating Teachers

1. Why do you want to learn SignWriting?

I teach deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students a variety of subjects,
including ASL. I want to
help them develop literacy and improve their fluency in ASL which I feel
will impact their education in general. I am in contact with those in the
Deaf community and would like them to know of this development. I am a
nationally certified interpreter who is active in the policies of the
interpreting community here and I would like to share this information with
the others in the field.

>2. What have been some of your past frustrations when teaching?

My students distaste for, and frustration in reading have been a
frustration to me.

>3. Are you hoping that SignWriting might help? If so, in what way?

I have heard and seen evidence that ASL is the way to teach English. I
feel SignWriting will help them improve their skills in both languages.

>4. The SignWriting Teacher's Forum has a free web page for you and
your students, to use in anyway you wish, just as long as it relates to
SignWriting. How would you like to use your web page?

Not knowing exactly how this works, I am not sure but I am excited at the
prospect of our students making contacts "out there" and being a part of
this new phenomenon.

>5. Please tell us about your school and your classroom. How many
students will be learning SignWriting?

Our school has about 1,000 students in grades 9-12. We have fourteen
students who are deaf or hard of hearing. This is the first year we have
offered ASL and this class has included eight hearing students. Hopefully
this is just the start, but of these students six should return next year
and be automatic communication contacts for these and our rising ninth
grade deaf and hard of hearing students. I will begin using SignWriting as
a way to instruct the ASL students and as a way to write about English in
ASL. The students' writing assignments, short simple ones at first, could
be in ASL and then be translated to English.

Cynthia Frey
Teacher of Deaf and
Hard of Hearing Students

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1110  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index