forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1222  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat May 8, 1999  10:39 pm
Subject:  A Question I Can't Answer...

May 8, 1999

Dear SignWriting List Members:
As you know, I receive email from people who visit our SignWriting Web
Site...and they write to me and oftentimes ask me questions that are more
related to "sign language" than to "SignWriting". Of course I understand
and try to help the best I can. I oftentimes refer them to other groups.

Here is a question that I just received - about research on using sign
language with "hearing students". Does anyone on the SW List have
suggestions as to how I should answer this question? I do not know where to
send her, for the information she needs....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Ms. Sutton,
I am a third grade educator interested in sign language. I have a
basic vocabulary and used S.L. in teaching the alphabet to kindergartners
and basic words to them for several years. I have the idea that sign
language would help our emergent readers in developing their sight
vocabulary and was wondering what kind of research might have been done in
this area. I know this deals with the hearing community rather than the
deaf community, but you would not believe how many parents have come to me
and said they have been somewhere where there was a deaf child. They were
so proud because their child could sign spell or sign words to the deaf
child, thus building a bridge. I know several teachers across Missouri,
Arkansas, and Tenn. are currently incorporating sign language into the
classroom and was wondering if you might have access to educational
research being done in this area, especially as it relates to teaching
reading vocabulary to hearing with sign language.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your help -

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Replies Author Date
1223 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Dawn Jones Sat  5/8/1999
1224 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Valerie Sutton Sat  5/8/1999
1234 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Angus B. Grieve-Smith Sun  5/9/1999
1238 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Valerie Sutton Mon  5/10/1999
1239 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Karlin, Ben Mon  5/10/1999
1241 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Valerie Sutton Mon  5/10/1999
1253 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Deborah Holden Wed  5/12/1999
1254 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Joe Martin Wed  5/12/1999
1282 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Ingvild Kristine Roald Sat  5/15/1999

  Message 1222  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index