forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1223  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Dawn Jones
Date:  Sat May 8, 1999  11:01 pm
Subject:  Re: A Question I Can't Answer...

Hello everyone,

My name is Dawn and I'm new to the list. I'm a sign language interpreter
interesed in learning sign writing. I've ordered my workbook and I'll start
learning as soon as it arrives. In the meantime I thought I'd chime in with
what I know about the question at hand...

<< I know several teachers across Missouri, Arkansas, and Tenn. are currently
incorporating sign language into the classroom and was wondering if you might
have access to educational research being done in this area, especially as it
relates to teaching reading vocabulary to hearing with sign language.

I don't know of any research studies exactly like the one described above,
but I did hear of a study involving hearing children of deaf adults. It
seems that children of deaf adults typically have better vocabularies than
their peers with hearing parents. Perhaps that shows the benefits of early
exposure to sign language.

Hope this helps,

Dawn

  Replies Author Date
1224 Re: A Question I Can't Answer... Valerie Sutton Sat  5/8/1999

  Message 1223  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index