forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1347  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 27, 1999  2:28 am
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

May 26, 1999

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for your great messages and your good suggestions for new features
in SignWriter 5.0. It has only been two days since I have posted a message,
but it seems a lot longer....so much has happened in two days.

I woke up Monday morning without a programmer. It is now Wednesday and we
have a programmer! Tomorrow he and I will be finalizing the arrangements,
and then he will start Friday :-)

I have chosen a seasoned computer programmer who is a former professor of
Computer Science. Once we get going, I will ask him to introduce himself to
the SignWriting List.

But now...to respond to some of your suggestions:

Wayne Smith wrote:

> 1. It would be nice if we're typing largely from the dictionary that we
>could remain in dictionary mode until we no longer want it. As it is, I'm
>constantly typing Alt-D before every sign, and I wish it would just stay
>there.

Thank you Wayne for all the thought and input you have given to the project!

In regards to number 1, above....I believe that feature is already in
SignWriter 4.3. Have you tried to stay in the dictionary? Did you know that
you can type new signs directly in the dictionary? The dictionary is like a
"mini" typing program - you can change to Fingerspelling Mode right in the
dictionary and type totally new signs right there. Then press the PageDown
or the PageUp keys to scroll to the next sign you want to change, change
that sign and continue on and on. Then hit the Escape key to leave the
dictionary. When you return to the dictionary later, you will find all your
changes are made.

However, I will think this through to see if we can make it easier. At the
moment, once we are in the dictionary, we cannot "search for another sign
by typing a word". You have to use the PageUp and Down keys to scroll - so
that is what might have confused you. So I will try to make the dictionary
"searchable by words" even once you are "inside the dictionary". Plus I
will think through other problems related to the issue of "remaining and
working inside the dictionary".

Many thanks for the input!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1347  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index