forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1377  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jun 1, 1999  10:05 pm
Subject:  Making a New Dictionary File

Mark Penner wrote:
>My guess is that Japanese has similar handshapes. I've heard that the
>crossover in Japanese and Taiwanese sign is about 80%. Is there any way you
>can send a dictionary file? I'm not familiar enough with the program to
>know how they work. I've made a little dictionary of about 10 or so JSL
>signs, but actually, I just added them to the ASL dictionary that came with
>the program, so I don't know if it would be much help. I could send you the
>.sgn file that the signs were originally written in, though.

>Mark and Mary Esther Penner
>Tokyo, Japan
>
>https://www.deaf.or.jp/vibi/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 1, 1999

Hi Mark -
From what I read above, it seems you are not sure how to make a new
dictionary file in SignWriter 4.3?

Here are the instructions, found on page 25 of the third manual in the
SignWriter Notebook. The manual is called "SignWriter-At-A-Glance". Here is
what it says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Creating New Dictionaries
Each country has it's own main dictionary file. For example, USA's main
dictionary is named 001. If you wish to create other dictionaries, with
other names, you can. Open the SignWriter program. You are in the opening
screen....the main menu.

1. Type Alt-S (Setup command).
2. Type D (for Dictionary).
3. Type the new name for a new dictionary file, for example: Verbs
4. Press Return. Then Y for Yes.
5. The active dictionary is now named Verbs. It is a blank dictionary.
6. Now open a document and type Alt-D (Dictionary command). Try to search
for a sign. As you can see, the dictionary is blank and you can begin
building a new dictionary if you wish.
7. To change back to the 001 main dictionary, repeat the process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can create all kinds of small dictionaries with different names.

When you want to send a dictionary to another person, you will need two
files: .dic and .din.

For example, the Verbs dictionary mentioned above requires these files:

swverbs.dic
swverbs.din

So you need to attach both the .dic and .din files to an email message.
Then the person on the other end needs to place both files in their SW
directory, and then when they open SignWriter, they need to "switch to the
Verbs dictionary" under Setup. Then when they open a document, they will
have access to your Verbs dictionary.

I sure hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to write again -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1377  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index