forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1383  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jun 3, 1999  1:18 am
Subject:  Re: NAD Requests SW Videos

>As educational entertainment, this summer students at Escuelita de
>Bluefields will view old silent films (Cecil B. DeMille, Douglas Fairbanks,
>etc.) including Orphans of the Storm (set in the French Revolution), Volga
>Boatman (set in the Russian Revolution), Jaon the Woman (Joan of Arc) and
>my favorite swashbuckler, the Black Pirate. Now, if only these could be
>captioned in Nicaraguan Sign Language with SW captioning.....
>
>-- James Shepard-Kegl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi James -
Silent films for deaf students must be quite exciting for them. What a
wonderful idea!

In the case of silent films, words are usually on separate screens
in-between the action, so placing SignWriting text between the action would
be a simple editing job in a TV studio. Of course, re-editing a silent
film, creating a new silent film with SignWriting, would still cost money,
because TV editing time is costly. But if you have permission to do that,
then I am sure there are cheaper methods, like editing video in a computer,
just as long as there are no copyright issues. You could even create poster
boards in your school room with the Nicaraguan Sign Language translations
of the English screens, and then stop the film temporarily to show them the
translations, and then continue the film again.

Most captioning is different - it is recording the voice on the video. In
our case, our videos are in ASL with English voice-over, so the captions
only really help those Deaf people who do not know ASL. I am told the
captions have been useful for Deaf people watching the video in other
countries. Of course you have to know English to benefit from the captions.

But other videos that have only voice, could be captioned in SignWriting I
suppose. I think the market would be so small that no one would want to pay
for it!! But technically it could be done. The editing job would be slow -
the SignWriting would have to be placed in a side screen - so the video
would be a split screen I guess...what a fun idea!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1383  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index