forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1388  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Jun 3, 1999  8:08 pm
Subject:  Re: Have you ever dreamed in SW?

>Valerie and All -
> I had to pass this along. I woke up this morning and realized I had
>had the strangest dream. I was visiting the SW Lab in California. I looked
>through a glass window at a guy huddled over a computer working on the new
>SW5.0 program, so I assume that must have been Rich. Then I noticed a bunch
>of kids in a corner playing a computer game. When I looked, I realized that
>the instructions on the screen were written in SignWriting and that SW was
>used as part of the game. I woke up and realized that you needed to hear
>this. I think the Universe is trying to give us yet another direction to
>develop SW in. For what it's worth........
> Love,
> - Wayne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmmm....nice message and very imaginative :-)

Yes. I dream in SignWriting symbols at times. Especially when I have been
doing web design at 2:00 in the morning, and I have been coloring symbol
after symbol for hours on end! So I dream in color too :-)

But to make your dream picture become "realistic"...

There is no "SW Lab" per se. Instead there is a global network of people
using SignWriting in small groups around the world. You can start by
looking at the map of Southern California, and there you will find La
Jolla, which is a part of the city of San Diego. San Diego is just 20
minutes from Mexico.

There, in La Jolla, is a house on a hilltop looking out toward the
California desert, along side a big natural canyon, filled with wild
flowers and animals. Although I live only a few miles from UCSD and Salk
Institute, you would never know it! And I work alone here with four
computers, servicing people using SignWriting all over the world.

In a house near the beach, you will find Rich Johnston, our new programmer,
programming SignWriter at 2:00 in the morning - He programs all night. Then
he comes over and installs what he has accomplished on my computers to show
me - and we discuss changes - and he goes back and works at home - such is
computer programming!

The groups of children you mention in your dream are not in my house, but
they most definitely do exist. Children in Nicaragua, for example, are
using SignWriting right now, although I personally am not there to witness
it. But I can imagine it, and it is a dream come true!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1388  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index