forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1436  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 9, 1999  11:21 pm
Subject:  Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials

Kathy Akehurst wrote:
>The colours are really helping with their retention of the written signs in
>their entirety and it's also easier to discuss which areas are causing
>problems ('the blue', 'the green' etc!). That's great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Kathy!

OK. Regarding the colored symbols....

It seems that for children or beginners the color coding helps, which is
great news, and I know others agree. This is my question...

Do you think I should have carried the color coding over to the Goldilocks
storybooks? As you noticed, I only used the color coding in the instruction
book, but I made the REAL storybooks black text, like most books are. I was
trying to "move them into reading normally", without the color.

Do you agree with that decision, Kathy, or do you think the color coding
should have been used in the Goldilocks Intermediate storybook as well? I
can change that, if you think I should.

PS. Notice in the new SignWriter 5.0 interface....I have a Menu for adding
color. The "Color Symbols" mode will automatically color the symbols like
they are colored in the Learn To Read ASL instruction book:

Menus in SignWriter 5.0
https://www.SignWriting.org/soft004.html
https://www.SignWriting.org/soft005.html

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1436  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index