forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1490  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 18, 1999  8:11 pm
Subject:  Translating Menus into Signs

June 18, 1999

Dear SW List!

In regards to SignWriter 5.0...

I understand several countries are planning to send me the "Menus in Signs"
typed in SignWriting for their respective signed languages - how exciting
to have Menus written in these different signed languages! I can't wait to
see them :-)

Meanwhile, I am working with a young computer graphics designer, named Todd
Olson. Todd is designing new and better icons for us...for the
international menus. I love Todd's artistic style - very modern, colorful
and clear...so between the icons and the languages we are really
accomplishing something!

And Rich Johnston is programming all this - bringing it into "one program".
We all take so much for granted, when we use computers. For example, just
using our mouse to choose something in a menu, is actually a lot of
programming....so Rich is programming how the menus will work when we
choose something with our mouse.

In regards to translating the menus into signs...if you are wondering how
to do this in your signed language, recently I received this information
from a SW List member:

"Regarding computer terms in various sign languages you might
want to look at Adam Schembri's (+colleagues) Dictionary of Computer Terms
which assembles signed terms from mainly AUSLAN but also from the Computer
Dictionary from Hamburg (Arbeitsgruppe Fachgebärdenlexika (ed): Lexikon für
Computerbegriffe mit Gebärden / Dictionary for computer terms with signs.
In: Hamburg : Signum 1993) and some other sign languages. This might be
helpful."

Many thanks, everyone, for your help, and for the information!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1490  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index