forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1442  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Thu Jun 10, 1999  1:16 am
Subject:  Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials

Consider how word processors handle text. They can color them, scale them, turn
them sideways, put them on an arc... all sorts of interesting ways. I'm sure
there were lots of discussions about the applicability of those things and they
ended up doing them. Perhaps, you could look at how text is handled in a
standard wordprocessor and try to match as many capabilities as you can.

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Kathy Akehurst wrote:
> >The colours are really helping with their retention of the written signs in
> >their entirety and it's also easier to discuss which areas are causing
> >problems ('the blue', 'the green' etc!). That's great.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Hi Kathy!
>
> OK. Regarding the colored symbols....
>
> It seems that for children or beginners the color coding helps, which is
> great news, and I know others agree. This is my question...
>
> Do you think I should have carried the color coding over to the Goldilocks
> storybooks? As you noticed, I only used the color coding in the instruction
> book, but I made the REAL storybooks black text, like most books are. I was
> trying to "move them into reading normally", without the color.
>
> Do you agree with that decision, Kathy, or do you think the color coding
> should have been used in the Goldilocks Intermediate storybook as well? I
> can change that, if you think I should.
>
> PS. Notice in the new SignWriter 5.0 interface....I have a Menu for adding
> color. The "Color Symbols" mode will automatically color the symbols like
> they are colored in the Learn To Read ASL instruction book:
>
> Menus in SignWriter 5.0
> https://www.SignWriting.org/soft004.html
> https://www.SignWriting.org/soft005.html
>
> Valerie :-)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Valerie Sutton
>
> SignWriting
>
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
> Center For Sutton Movement Writing
> an educational nonprofit organization
> Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1490 Translating Menus into Signs Valerie Sutton Fri  6/18/1999
1499 International Keystrokes Valerie Sutton Mon  6/21/1999

  Message 1442  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index