forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1506  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jun 22, 1999  4:39 pm
Subject:  Re: Phonemic way of writing

Joe Martin wrote:
>since I am used to writing Japanese/Chinese characters, I have found this,
>and I wondered if others do too.;;;that it is much easier to follow the
>stroke order of chinese when writing SignWriting.
>
>For those not used to it, the chinese stroke order is top left to lower
>right (or seattle to miami, as I think of it :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is fascinating, Joe - thanks so much for sharing this with us.

If you would like, I could prepare a page in the "SignWriting by Hand"
lessons showing your keystrokes as an alternative method - I think that is
an important contribution and I hope you will give me your permission to do
that :-)

And I suspect that these strokes will vary from person to person, depending
on whether they are connecting the next symbol in a cursive fashion or not.
A lot depends on what the next symbol is....

The western languages have "cursive writing" where they connect letters in
handwriting....do the Chinese and Japanese writing systems also have a
cursive form?

By the way, the horizontal stroke is a little like crossing your "t's" in
English cursive writing - and different writers have used the horizontal
stroke in SW independently from each other - without knowing that others
were doing it - so I think it might have some value in general - but it
certainly doesn't have to be used by everyone, that is for sure.

Thanks soooo much for your message -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1506  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index