forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1504  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Joe Martin
Date:  Tue Jun 22, 1999  12:37 am
Subject:  Re: Phonemic way of writing

Wayne (and anybody else)

since I am used to writing Japanese/Chinese characters, I have found this,
and I wondered if others do too.;;;that it is much easier to follow the
stroke order of chinese when writing SignWriting.

For those not used to it, the chinese stroke order is top left to lower
right (or seattle to miami, as I think of it :-)

Fer instance, on the website, "Signwriting by hand", page 7 it shows how
to draw a B-handshape. Using the numbers shown, I would draw it in the
order 3 4 2 5 1. Anything else comes out all blocky and ugly for me. On
page 8 the website shows a half-shaded B-hand;I write it 4 5 3 1 6 2, and
do the shading between the 6 and 2.

For me, this makes them come out much better, and it is easy to write
the floor plane-- with the space in it. (I find the "horizontal stroke"
way kind of hard to manage) So I wonder if other people experience this
also.
Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
Top Left Corner USA

  Replies Author Date
1506 Re: Phonemic way of writing Valerie Sutton Tue  6/22/1999

  Message 1504  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index